Sager Girls, Bobbie Right
Flood in Queensborough, May 27, 1940: The photographer was facing east on King Street (once known as Back Street); the man in it (unidentified) is walking west on what was then a board sidewalk. The buildings on the right and left are two of Queensborough’s blacksmith shops and are no longer standing. The shop on the left is at the corner of King Street and Queensborough Road, while the one on the right is at the corner of King Street and a lane that went into the Leslie farm.
Another view of the May 1940 flood: Looking east. The building on the right is the blacksmith’s shop that was at the corner of King Street (Back Street) and Queensborough Road. The house on the left, still in existence, faces the Black River on Queensborough Road. The brick house across the river, also still extant, was at the time the home of the Manchester family. That family suffered a terrible loss one winter: according to the history Times to Remember in Elzevir Township by Jean Holmes, their small son “was sleigh riding down the hill and went out on the ice [on the river] and went through it.”
The Sunday School class: Marion Love’s class at Queensborough United Church, January 1939. Back row, from left): Kathleen Declair, Bernice Sager, an unidentified girl (do you know who she is? If so, please let us know) and teacher Marion Love. Front row, from left: Betty Franklin, Eleanor Laird, Bobbie Sager, Joyce Spencer, Greta Spencer. (Photo from the Marion Love collection)